what what?

This is just me. My thoughts, some jokes, and hopefully some insight on life. Whatever life is we are all cought in it- so if you have any insight for mine please share. After all i can only say what i know, and chances are you know something i dont.

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

DREADS!!!

Somewhere between Tampa this summer, and deciding not to sell out and get any piercings or tattoos (of which i have none) something outrageous had to be done. I now have dreads. Dreadlocks to be exact, which are basically structured knotts and matts all over my head (i think there are 58 or so. It took 8 hours, the entire first season of Family Guy, and three friends who love me way too much.

Now some of you will congratulate me. Some of you will shake your heads in dissapointment, or maybe just disgust. And the rest of you blog surfers will flip just as quickly away from this page, on to the bigger things in your life- (or your lunch)-compleetly unintrested in anything i have to say. Well here's to apathy!

And like yourselves (those who dont care) I too had nothing interesting to do or say until i spent the better part of sunday nappying up my hair. But it has prooved already to be quite a learning experience

I do like them... alot

Dreads have, in the short 2 days i have had them, have already tought me something. Humans (all of us) are idealistic. We have these preconsieved notions on how things should be- and we run screeming for the hills (or to the closest poor soul) ranting balistically when something or someone fails to live up to our idea of what is right and should be. (this is a gross overstatment for effect...but my uncle's reaction to me was pretty damn close) We all expect things to be a certin way, and get upset when they are not. (and by we i mean me, and my poor little dreadies that did nothing to that grumpy old lady at church)I have already been tagged as a pot head, a delinquint, and an irresponsibal- irrational young lady who needs an attatude adjustment. Ok true, dreads are often affiliated with potheads and rastafarian culture (which by the way is nothing bad or wrong) but having dreads does not make me rasta any more than putting a bumper sticker on my butt makes me a car. But alas i am niether rasta or a pothead.

So to the point, and what i have learned is that we all need to see our ideals for what they are- IDEAls. C.S Lewis said it best "To hell with your standard!" realizing that i am trampeling on others' ideals- i need to be ready to let them trample on mine. Maybe a better understanding of that will help me not get so ticked when i get sneered at. But honestly i think its funny, we all are way too uptight. This happens to be my self expression (sence i am not pierced or tatood- i think dreads are rather counterculture and origional, it has become mundane to be pierced and marked all over...besides hair can be cut)

So there it is, and this is me expressing myself (expressing the fact that my hair can still look cool in matts- and i wanted to see how many peoples' respect for me hinged on a hair style; forcing others to express to me what type of people they are)

And you may still think its gross- ok, but fyi they arnt, I do get to wash them regularly, cause contrary to popular belief you need to keep them clean! in the end its your opinion! so trample away on my expectations- help teach me this lesson. I have a feeling i will enjoy it in the long run.

1 Comments:

At 7:43 PM, Blogger Xena said...

You have DREADS?!?!? COOL!! I seriously doubt I cauld get away with it at this point but my husband says he is thinking about it. Can you imagine what would happen if I went to school with DREADS??

MJ and I have a bet going, which uncle? It isn't possibly the most "white bread" uncle you have whose children you (or used to) watch every week, is it?

Anyway, good luck with the experiment, I will be checking back much more often since you are now posting again...

I love you!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home